Monday, January 03, 2011

Guess who's FOUR!!!!

My baby girl turned four this morning!

Four year ago I was puking my guts out due to a reaction to the pain meds after my c-section.  That combined with a spinal headache made for a rough day.  Four years ago, almost to the minute of me typing this, I held my daughter and breast fed her for the first time since right after coming out of surgery.  I'd felt terrible all day and didn't think I had the energy but my mom suggested I try.  What happened next was a testament to the bond between mom and baby.  I almost instantly started feeling better and Makenna, who'd had a scowl on her face all day, was suddenly peaceful and her little forehead wrinkles disappeared.  What we both needed was each other.

That sweet baby has been my little sidekick ever since.  A momma's girl.  A girly girl who loves dresses, purses, shoes and jewelry.  She loves to read and be read to.  She loves her dolls and barbies and is the best little mommy.  She is so creative and loves to draw and paint.  She wants to be a doctor when she grows up.  She thinks about those around her and honestly cares about how they are each day.  Her teachers tell me constantly how smart, polite and sweet she is.  I know all this.  Yes, I'm partial.  Whatev.  This girl of mine, she makes my heart sing.  Then and now.

This morning she woke up and crawled into bed with us.  She wanted a quick cuddle before the day began.  I wasn't ready to get up, so I pulled her close and hoped she'd go back to sleep.  Then I started thinking about her birth day and my mind went back to that first real cuddle and how many we've shared since then.  My scowl disappeared, I hugged my girl close and she rewarded me with a sweet "Mommy, I love you".  Scowls and forehead wrinkles disappeared and we got up to celebrate her special day.

Happy Birthday, Makenna!  Daddy and I love you so much.

3 comments:

Monica said...

That made me tear up a little! Yep, we should really slow down and enjoy all the cuddles we can get :)

Happy Birthday Makenna!

Monica said...

Made me tear up a little too!! Can't believe your little girl is four and mine is almost...hope you all have an incredible day! Happy, happy birthday, Makenna!!

Kim said...

I hope Makenna had a happy day!