Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thankful Thursday

Yesterday was rough.  I was in a mood due to another snow day, but only for two of the three kiddos.  Silly to be in such a foul mood about a snow day, but I have such limited time without kids that I really look forward to those days.    The kids picked up on my mood and it put all of them in moods.  The two year old was a pill all day.  He wasn't listening, yelled at me frequently, was in time out numerous times for poor behavior, etc, ect.  I was really, really ready for my night out with friends by 5pm.  When The Mister walked in, I was out the door with barely a kiss for any of them.  While Daddy was cooking dinner, cleaning up the kitchen and entertaining our kids, I was at a beer and bubbly tasting with some great girlfriends.  We had a great night.  Lots of laughs, good food, good drinks, great conversation and some funny memories.  I woke up this morning feeling so refreshed.  When we got to school, the boy remembered he needed his report card signed.  The report card that was sitting on the kitchen counter next to his backpack, that he also needed.  Yesterday that would have pushed me over the edge and I would have yelled.  Today we talked about responsibility and the consequences of not being responsible, and later I dropped the backpack at school with a little love note for my boy.  After dropping Ryan, we came home to have breakfast, take baths, make snacks and get out the door for the little man's photo shoot.  Yesterday we would have been late.  I would have tried to fit other things into the morning and wouldn't have been patient with the kids.  Today, I didn't deal with anything but getting us all ready, which included lots of fun in the bath, lots of giving choices to E to help with his independent streak and allowing him the time to decide and do things himself.  We were out the door with plenty of time to spare and arrived happy at the photo shoot.  The shoot went great and then we ran a quick errand before heading home.  The kids have now been playing, without fighting and by themselves, for over an hour.

I am so thankful for Thursday.  For a husband who understands I need time away and allows me to take it without adding to my mommy guilt.  For kids who forgive me when I've been a mean mommy and love me just as much as they always have.  For  great friends whom I enjoy spending time with.  For a better mood today and for my ability to make those around me be in a better mood too.

1 comment:

Stefan said...

Isn't it great how some solo time increases your quality of life, which then restores all your patience for the kids, which in turn increases your quality of life! Sheryl and I are learning this every day too. I love positive feedback cycles. :-)