Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tuesday Twelve

1.  The last number of days have been filled with fun!  Friday The Mister went out for guys poker night and my friend Jacy came here with her girls for a sleepover.  I think we had as much fun as the kids.  Saturday was Basketball and Ryan had his best game yet.  His team didn't win, but we were so proud of how well Ryan played and thrilled that he had a lot of fun during the game and really shone as a leader on his team.  Saturday night I went to an ornament exchange with my old mom's group.  It was great to see some friends I haven't seen in a number of months and the night went better than anticipated considering there were some hurt feelings when I left.  The best part was seeing my friend Tanya.  She's cutting her hair and going in for a double mastectomy this week.  It felt good to hug her.

2.  Ryan got a surprise invite for a sleepover Saturday night and we didn't see him until Monday afternoon when I picked him up.  We really missed him here, but wow, the house was so mellow.  Crazy that he's old enough to go stay at a friends house for two whole days!

3.  Little Miss has been drawing up a storm lately and her artistic skills are increasing in leaps and bounds.  She went from drawing stick people to drawing flowers, hearts, rainbows and birds almost over night.  Even Ryan has commented on how good her pictures are.

4.  We had our first Skype experience a few days ago.  It was so fun and the kids really enjoyed SEEING their Grandparents and Great Grandma while talking to them.  Now that I realize how neat it is, I'll be encouraging some others to sign up for this free service.

5.  I made cut out sugar cookies from scratch this morning.  That dough is tough to work with!  Ended up with lots of cute stockings, presents, snowmen, snowflakes, Christmas trees, stars and bells.  Even better, all the kids that came over today seemed to have a good time decorating them.  Oh, and the best part, I had the big boy do a taste test between a box mix for sugar cookies that I made last week and the recipe I made this morning.  He thought the 'from scratch' cookie was better.  Yay!

6. The Mister is off work for a week, starting tonight!  I feel like we need to celebrate!  He's been working so hard for so long, I hope he's able to completely unplug for at least a couple days.

7.  I love going to the mailbox this time of year.  It's so much fun getting pictures and seeing how kids have grown over the year or getting cards with letters that share what the person's year held.  I'm always really impressed by the handmade cards, one day I might follow suit.  Maybe.  I'm not the best at keeping in touch, which makes the yearly cards even more precious to me.

8.  E has started taking his diaper off.  I walked into his room this morning to find his pj's on the floor, his diaper next to him in his crib and his onesie around his waist.  We haven't had the poop smeared all over everything experience with him yet but I know it's just a matter of time.  The older two both did it once, wonder how many times my little man will decide to play in the disgusting brown goo.

9.  There were 20 people at my house today, 6 moms and 14 kids.  I was thankful, yet again, for our new house which is so much better for hosting playdates.  I used to hate to host because there just wasn't enough space for kids to play and mom's to not be in the middle of it all.  Now I really enjoy having people over, especially when the kids are all so good and the mom's are so fun to be around.  Playdate at my place...bring it on!  Oh and Barbara, if you're reading this,  I promise not to steal anything from you next time we're together. ;)

10.  I actually got Christmas cards out this year....to most people.  No writing, just pictures, but a big accomplishment, nonetheless.  Christmas cards have been spotty for the last number of years so I'm thrilled to have sent some out.  Next year the list will grow as I compile a few more addresses over the year.

11. I'm enjoying a small piece of Williams-Sonoma Peppermint Bark as I type this.  (Thank you Craig and Mary!)  If you like Peppermint, dark chocolate and white chocolate, you must try this.  Don't try any of the copy cats, Williams-Sonoma makes the best version, just the right thickness and mix of flavors.   Between this and the white chocolate covered pretzels my MIL sent, the few pounds I've lost are sure to find their way back.

12.  Last but not least, I got a surprise gift that meant so much to me today.  It included something hand made and a small purchased item that I'd mentioned wanting awhile back and promptly forgotten.  My friend heard and remembered.  The hand made item is now proudly displayed on my buffet and the other will be well used.  I'm so blessed to have such sweet and thoughtful friends.  Thanks girl, you're the best!

No comments: