Thursday, April 23, 2009

Cooking Thursday

Ryan, my boy who would eat anything I served him (including raw red onions) until he was 4, is a PICKY eater. He's a carb fiend and the only vegetable I can get into him with any consistency is raw carrots. So, being a sneaky mom, I've been looking for recipes for muffins, breads and cookies that have veggies in them. I had a bunch of zucchini in the fridge about to go bad so today's experiment was Zucchini-Lemon Muffins.

Zucchini-Lemon Muffins

2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmet
1 cup coursely shredded zucchini
3/4 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 egg
Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl, and make a well in the center of mixture. Combine zucchini, milk, oil, and egg: stir well. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden. Remove from pans immediately, and let cool on a wire rack.
Calories 147; Protein 3.1g; Fat 4.3g; Carb 24.3g; Fiber 0.6g; Chol 18 mg; Iron; 1.1 mg; Sodium 62mg; Calc 69 mg
*The cooks changes...
I had enough zucchini to triple this recipe. I used half wheat and half white flour, 1 lemon, not sure what that measures out to, 1 container of fat free plain yogurt in place of the oil, and 6 egg whites in place of 3 eggs.
I thought they were ok, needed more spice and more lemon rind. Ryan's initial response was "these are good!" Then he noticed the little green flecks, causing him to barely finish the muffin.
Here's where I need your help. This is an easy lowfat recipe I'd like to use again, but I need suggestions on how to modify it more. Would you add cinnamon? Vanilla? Raisins? Don't suggest nuts...I think they ruin a baked good! :)
If you make them, post pictures on your blog and any changes you made to the recipe. Then let me know!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those look really good! LOL that as soon as he saw the green, the gig was up!

sher1217 said...

Would it ruin the nutritional content to first cook and puree the zucchini?