Sunday, September 21, 2008

History Lesson

It's Sunday, a day to sleep in, and yet my lovely children were up before 6 am. Ryan needed to ask me a very pressing question, and proceeded to wake his sister up when he got up.

The question:

"Hey mom, you know that bell, the Liberty Bell, why does it have a crack in it?"

What? How is it that a 7 year old is woken from a deep sleep by pondering the crack in the Liberty Bell? More importantly, why didn't he wake up his father, the man with the History degree?

7 comments:

Barbara said...

hahahahahaha, sorry to laugh but that is hilarious! I agree, why couldn't he wake up his Dad?

Jacy said...

LOL! That is too funny! Sorry for the early morning :(

I love the background! I ALMOST picked this one but it was too close the one I had already.

Margie said...

That is funny! Sucks about it being so early though.

Meredith said...

LOL!!! So true!! What a deep thought for so early in the morning on Sunday! Yes, whats the deal... wake up Wayne next time, lol. Love the background too! Time for me to update my blog in general, lol.

Christy Sanford said...

LOL ...sorry about the interrupted sleep... little boys and thier quetions... someday we will miss these.. just not this morning...lol

Stefan said...

So, ummm, what's the answer?

chandra said...

According to Wikipedia... The Liberty Bell cracked the first time during the initial test ring. The bell was recast and then recast again. No one is certain when the crack appeared in the third bell, but the crack extended during ringing in 1846 making the bell unusable. Contrary to appearances, the large crevice that currently exists in the Liberty Bell is a repair from the expansions, and not the crack itself.

Yep, I had to look it up. I thought it was hit by lightening and the one with the history degree had no idea.

Some papers came home from school today, one has a picture of things related to the U.S., ie, flag, Statue of Liberty, Liberty Bell, etc. Guess I know where the inquiry came from now. :)