Friday, March 02, 2007

Exhausted and a little blue...

It took so much effort and time to have this baby, that I tend to think I don't have the right to get frustrated. But, wow, am I frustrated....and a little resentful. I feel horrible for saying that, so mommy guilt is rearing it's head as well. Frustration, resentment and guilt...Oh My!


Makenna isn't the easiest baby. Between her GERD and Colic, there's lots of crying and not a whole lot of sleeping going on here. Thankfully, we've recently started getting a few smiles which make things a little easier. However, her daddy and I both like our sleep and don't function well when we don't get it. We also have very different ways of dealing with the crying fits. I firmly believe the longer and harder she cries the more worked up she gets and the longer it will take to calm her. His philosophy is "Get it all out and you'll feel better and calm down". Because we deal with things so differently we tend to get testy with each other and I think both of us get resentful towards each other. With no family in town to watch her, there are no breaks, so both of us are worn out. On top of that, we have a 5 year old that needs attention too. He's been so great with all the changes and has dealt well with the crying, but the honeymoon is ending. He's been a lot more needy and whiney during the past week...maybe he's picking up on my mood?


Mommy guilt reason number two, I stopped breastfeeding two weeks ago. I pumped for a number of days and we tried formula to see if it would help. Makenna seemed so much happier during that time and appeared to feel much better, so we decided to stick with formula. Now, two weeks later, she seems to be regressing. I've been weaning her off one of the meds, so that's probably part of the issue, but it's so disheartening. I stopped breastfeeding for a reason, and now that reason seems nonexistant...blah.


I know that we are so blessed to have two wonderful kids, and I wouldn't have it any other way, but man am I worn out. Keep your fingers crossed that the colic ends soon. I'll leave you with a picture. Isn't she sweet?!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wish I could be there to do the night shift. ILY Ger

Jacy said...

Travis will be leaving Sunday the 11th and gets back late Wednesday night. I will take her off your hands for a night during that time so you can get some sleep if you want. Seriously I would love to have her and help you out :)
1 night isn't alot but maybe one good nights rest will help, I can do without for 1 night.

ashkaitnjakesmom said...

Awww, yes she's a doll!! I love that picture!!

You have every right to feel how you do. It's a normal part of the process!! You guys have recently had a lot of freedom so I can imagine it gets frustrating having to make adjustments!! She's so worth it though!!

Barbara said...

I don't know if I could do a night, but I'd love a day! You could Nap, Nap, and then Nap until time to get Ryan!!!

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful!