Friday, August 01, 2008

Our 15 seconds of fame

We went to a Fit Kids event at the local hospital today. It was sponsored by Cartoon Network, but it was all activities to get kids moving and was meant to educate about childhood obesity. Ryan had his picture taken by the local newspaper and I was interviewed by a local news station. The interview went something like this:

News Guy: How do you, as a mom, determine how much TVyour child watches?

Me: Well he watches a little when he first wakes up and some during the afternoon to chill out and rest, but other than that the expectation is that he play outside or do other things in the house.

News Guy: What does your son like to do outside?

Me: Ride his bike, ride his scooter, play in the pool, etc.

Some other random stuff and then Ryan has finished playing soccer so he gets in on the interview.

News Guy: Would you rather play on the computer and watch TV, or would you rather play outside.

Ryan: (after some thoughtful consideration) I'd rather play the computer and watch TV.

Awesome. Yes folks, another stellar mommy moment. I had to laugh. The whole point of the event was to get kids off their butts and outside playing.

News Guy: Well, that just shows what parents are up against, kids would rather sit and watch TV.

(I'm so glad we got to be an example of that.)

News Guy: What do you do to get your son outside.

Me: I plan a lot of things to get us out of the house and we attend events just like this.

Apparently it made it to the news and I missed it. Oh well, no need to live my disgrace twice. :)

As a side note, the event was small but really fun and they gave out sweet goodie bags with great water bottles for the kids. Too bad it was about a million degrees today, otherwise we might have stayed all day so Ryan could bowl and run through the obstacle course.

I just found the interview online, here's the link in case you're interested.
http://www.wkrn.com/Global/story.asp?S=8775888

5 comments:

Margie said...

I had to giggle when Ryan answered that he'd rather play on the computer or watch tv. That's something that you should save for him and pull it out when he is older!

Shannon said...

I agree, I got a little chuckle out of seeing Ryan looking so cute while he said he would rather be inside watching tv. Priceless!

Barbara said...

I wish I had seen it! I'm off to search the website again for it!

Barbara said...

LOL I see the link you put on :)

Thanks!

Riki said...

I missed it and I didn't see it on the link. How funny though.