Friday, July 06, 2007

Grief

I've led a pretty charmed life. My exposure to loss and grief has been fairly minimal. With that in mind I wondered how I would feel as I worked through the emotions of Jenna's passing. I must say I've been knocked over by the intensity of it.

Prior to this, the height of emotion surrounding a death occurred at the funerals I've attended or at the time of the phone call giving me the news that someone I knew and loved had passed away. I certainly experienced lingering periods of sadness and spent plenty of time thinking about memories I shared with that person. I cried off and on over a period of time, but as the saying goes, time heals all wounds. As time passed, it really did get easier to think of my loved one with a smile instead of tears.

My most intense visits with grief have been with people I didn't spend much time with. A friends' 9 year old daughter who, coincidentally, died of Leukemia, a friends’ dad who passed away unexpectedly at a young age, my husbands’ 14 year old nephew who committed suicide.

Each of those funerals was incredibly difficult.

Jenna's funeral was incredibly difficult.

Based on history, I expected her wake and funeral to be the hardest moments of dealing with the loss of such a wonderful friend. I was so naive. I had yet to understand just how difficult life would be without her. I've spent hours in the middle of the night tossing and turning, thinking of Jenna and trying to stay in a dream that she was a part of. (Interestingly enough, she's had long hair in my dreams each night. I can't help but think it's because she's free from cancer now.) I've had moments where I wanted to tell her something and after I hit her number on speed dial or commit it to memory so I can tell her at a later time, I remember...I can't tell her. I break into tears over nothing. Then I start thinking about the fun times we had, about the funny stories we shared, about the beautiful children she left behind and what a legacy she left them with her blog and love of pictures.

There are moments of peace, knowing that Jenna and Will are together in Heaven along with the two babies she miscarried. There are moments of anger because Ashlee, Kait and Jake are much too young to have lost the mother who dedicated her life to them. There is intense sadness for the husband she shared a great love with, the brother who was prepared to save his sister's life, the sister who lost her mentor, the mother who lost not only a daughter but a friend, the dad who spent days next to his daughter's hospital bed in the midst of his own health issues, the mother in law that loved her like a daughter not a daughter in law, the sister in law that lost a friend and a constant cheerleader. The list could go on and on because Jenna touched so many people. She was better than anyone I know at keeping in touch with those she cared about and she really cared about most people she knew.

As I try to wrap my head and my heart around her loss, I feel myself withdrawing. It's hard to talk with people that didn't know Jenna because I feel like my grief radiates from me. It's hard to talk with friends that are as grief stricken as I, because that much grief is painfully intense. It's hard to talk about the daily minutia because it seems so inconsequential. It's hard to think about the monumental loss that Jenna's family and friends are dealing with. To put it bluntly, grief sucks.

I've done this withdrawl thing once before in my life. Our numerous IVF's and miscarriages had me raw, antisocial and physically and emotionally exhausted. Jenna was such a great friend during that time. (Just for the record, she was always a great friend, but especially so during that time.) She constantly called and invited me to things and rarely took no for an answer. She offered to watch Ryan so Wayne and I could have time together. She, and a couple others, listened to my endless talk of shots, embryos, sperm samples, follicles, ICSI, insurance and betas. Between her constant calls and invites, and some much needed time with my mom, I slowly started to live in the moment again.

So here's my question...with Jenna gone, how do I remember to live in the moment?

I guess the answer to that is in the moments of laughter I share with friends as we reminisce about our times with Jenna. It's in the belly laughs my son lets out when he's done something funny. It's in the bunny kisses my daugher initiates numerous times each day. It's in the kisses from my husband and conversations with those I love. I know Jenna wouldn't want people to be sad, well at least not for long, but I also know it's human nature to mourn. Living in the moment will be back, but for now I grieve the loss of my friend and try to remember to appreciate the little things.

12 comments:

Angie Morris said...

Big Hugs Chandra! I can't even imange what you are going thru....

Angie Morris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

chandra, i know you loved jenna deeply, and i am so sorry you have to grieve so deeply. i know it's an old and over-used saying, but time really does heal wounds. i've never lost a friend, but i have lost a father. i'm not going to lie and say that i felt better after a week, or even a month. but eventually, the pain did subside, and the happy memories came more frequently than the gut wrenching sadness i felt when he first died. there are still times (it's been 2 years now since he died unexpectedly) that i pick up the phone to call him to tell him something important, and then i remember...he already knows because he's in heaven! my thoughts are with you, chandra, while you mourn your best friend, and the life and memories you shared together.

Anonymous said...

Chandra-
I am thinking of you as you deal with this incredible loss. I cannot begin to imagine how much it hurts. You are in my prayers!
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Hey Chandra

What a beautiful entry. Yes, Jenna's funeral was extremely difficult. She was the first friend in my life who has died. I don't want to have to go through that again anytime soon. We are all so young and shouldn't have to go through things such as these. But as you said, we all have to live for the moment. Because Jenna did that so well, I have tried to learn how to do that. I miss my friend dearly and am so happy that she had such a great group of friends in TN. Know that you are not alone in your grief. Jenna created a great network of friends who can rely on each other. Her spirit lives within all of us!

Shannon said...

Chandra, I can't even begin to imagine the pain you're going through, but I know Jenna was an awesome person and friend, and you were very lucky to have her in your life. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that she is finally pain free, and you've got so many great memories of the times you shared. Big hugs, and if you ever need to talk or a shoulder to cry on, I'm here.

Barbara said...

Chandra,

You have a way with words. Your posts most always bring me to laughter or tears. This one brings tears, but the last paragraph brings smiles and hope. You're right, the belly laughs and bunny kisses and the good things in life can help us in the moments that turn into hours days and months. One day it won't all be so raw and so painful and there will be more smiles and laughs when we remember the good times.

Like you said before, I'm here for you and certainly can't fit into Jenna's shoes but I'm an ear to listen and a shoulder to cry on.

Love you,
Barbara

Anonymous said...

You express yourself so well. Big hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you two were great friends; I can understand exactly what you're feeling. I knew Jenna ever since I was 7 years old and we were usually inseperable. I have so many great memories and still have TONS of letters; funny and emotional. As my sister and I were driving home from Middlebury (where Jenna & I grew up) I was telling my sister one funny story after another. My sister said she never laughed so hard in her life! Little did I know she passed several hours ago. When I was digging through old letters she wrote me, I came across this poem she wrote when she had cancer at 14. The quote in it that broke & relieved my heart was "If the day is soon that I should die, I'd hope you won't cry, but instead smile at all the times we've shared." It was everything that I needed to know. I'd like to thihk that Jenna knew I was about to find out and she gave me one last gift which was to laugh and smile when I think of her. I know that's how she want's to be remembered.
I do have many regrets as far as letting our frienship slip. She called me at 6:26 the night before she died and it kill's me that I didn't call her back to hear her voice one last time. I know I can't focus on regrets. Jenna was awesome. I'm so glad so many people got to know her. I'm going to miss her terribly. Gena
If you want to e-mail me and exchange funny stories about her it's genagardner@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I know how close you two were and I wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts. You have a wonderful gift of words and I'm sorry you're having to go through all of this. *hug*

Anonymous said...

that was beautiful!
Ramell

Tamra said...

Chandra,

Your name came up so often in Jenna's daily conversation! She always told me stories about your nights out...... I am right there with you in the pain department. The funeral and wake here tough but its HARDER now that reality sets in about her not being there. As her sister and someone very connected to her I have a huge gaping hole in my soul that she filled since I was 1 year and 8 months old and my mother brought her home from the hospital.

I do know that Jenna would APPRECIATE the sadness and loss that we feel right now and it probably makes her smile to see how many lives she touched and how we are all somehow bonding together because of HER!

It sounds like you went through a lot and she was there to yank you out of your grief...... and she is still with you now Chandra.......... smiling and encouraging you to keep living life to its fullest JUST LIKE SHE DID!