Ryan: “Are those for me?” (big saucer eyes and barely hidden excitement)
Mom: “No, they’re for me.” (big saucer eyes and barely hidden excitement)
Ryan in a very matter of fact voice: “Oh, is it your medicine?”
Mom: “Thankfully, no.”
IVF medications aren’t readily available at the local pharmacy, so they must be ordered. They arrive in a huge box, sometimes more than one, and often wrapped in dry ice. I remember exactly how I felt when I got that first box. Anticipation, excitement, wonder and so much dread. Multiple bags filled with different sizes of needles. Needles that I would be using on myself, or worse my husband would be using on me! What the hell? After getting over my initial shock at all the needles, I went on to look at just how many different medications I would be pumping into my body over the next two months and more if a pregnancy was achieved. For that first IVF, I ended up with 4 shots and 11 pills each day. It rocked.
It’s been 14 months since I received one of those boxes and yet my 5 year old remembers them. I wonder if he also remembers what a bad mom I was during those months of Lupron induced bitchiness. Just when I think I’ve moved past infertility it sucker punches me.
Oddly enough, even though it’s painful I don’t mind a sucker punch every now and then. It reminds me to be thankful for my children. It reminds me to be thankful I’m not actively trying for more children currently. It reminds me of a very difficult time in my life and therefore it reminds me that we persevered and came through it stronger than we entered. It reminds me that just because we want something that doesn’t mean we’re going to get it. It reminds me to be mindful of the journey even though the arrival is what I want. It reminds me that I have arrived!
1 comment:
Chandra, You have such strength and determination. I'm so glad that for all of your efforts, frustration, pain, sadness, and loss, you were so blessed with Makenna. I can imagine Ryan's face when he was asking about the boxes too.
p.s. I don't think you were a bad mom through that time, just more like the rest of us ;)
p.p.s. let's hear more about what was in the boxes.
Post a Comment